A helpful resource in this recovery process might be our Negotiating the Networks guide. If you can't find what you are looking for give us a call.
To find other
Drug Take Back Locations
by County or Zip Code
PA COMPASS Mobile App
The fast and easy way to manage your benefits - anytime and anywhere. myCOMPASS PA is an online app for Pennsylvanians to manage their health and human service programs benefits. COMPASS now has a mobile app for you to check on your benefits. To learn more about this app click here. This free app is available for Android and Apple, click on your store below:
Spring / Summer FUN IN NEPA
CONTACT the local Visitor's Bureau's;
Bradford, Clinton, Columbia/Montour, Endless Mountain, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Lycoming, Pocono Mountains, Susquehanna River Valley, and Tioga.
VISIT a State Park or a National Park in Pennsylvania.
I can't dial 2-1-1 from my work phone.Some phone networks or PBX systems that require a “9” or another outside line access code may need to be adjusted so you can dial 2-1-1. Most systems allow you to dial 9-1-1, but some may need to be changed for 2-1-1. Your telecommunications staff or service provider should be able to make this simple adjustment. You can also reach us by dialing 1-888-829-1341.
TEXT YOUR ZIP CODE TO 898211
On July 1, 2015 Help Line starting accepting texts for information and referral services. Text your Zip Code to 898211 to be connected to a Help Line caseworker. This is a free service provided by Help Line, message and data rates may apply. Click this link for a Times Leader newspaper story on texting at Help Line.
Storm information and preparedness.
Be prepared and download the FEMA app for free on the App Store and Google Play. Learn what to do before, during, and after emergencies with safety tips & receive weather alerts from the National Weather Service for up to five different locations anywhere in the United States. Features in the app include:
- Maps of disaster resources: Locate and receive driving directions to open shelters and disaster recovery centers.
- Apply for assistance: Easily access DisasterAssistance.gov to apply for federal disaster assistance.
- Custom emergency safety information: Save a custom list of the items in your family’s emergency kit, as well as the places you will meet in case of an emergency.
Help Line is updating our resources for a new database. If you want to be listed check our Inclusion/Exculsion criteria to determine your eligibilty for our database. Then click on this form to supply your information.
Juvenile Court Information
As a result of some of the past issues involving the juvenile court in Luzerne County a number of resources have been developed to make negotating the juvenile system easier. The Guide to Juvenile Court is a resource that is can be helpful in any county, the Targeted Resouce Directory lists resources for Luzerne County. The PA Commission on Crime & Delinquincy has announced programs that have recieved money from the Mericle Fund/Programs to Benefit Children of Luzerne County. For a list of programs click on this link for Mericle Funds.
In this economic climate, sometimes you need some assistance. There is often help available but you need to know where to turn. You can call Help Line twenty four hours a day for the latest information on available programs, or download this Guide to Negotiating the Networks for assistance.
Public Alert System
Luzerne County has launched a new public alert system that will send text messages and e-mails to residents regarding emergencies and weather warnings.
In addition to severe weather updates, the system will be used to send information alerts such as missing children, Susquehanna River conditions, emergency conditions at the PPL Susquehanna nuclear power plant in Salem Township and emergencies related to Marcellus Shale gas wells throughout the county.
To sign up for the alert notification service, click here.
2-1-1 is an easy-to-remember three-digit phone number that brings people and services together.
The essence of 2-1-1 is in its simplicity:
- 2-1-1 is for everyone and can be remembered by everyone.
- 2-1-1 is free and confidential.
- 2-1-1 makes the entire human services sector at every level of government work more efficiently.
- 2-1-1 has proven itself time after time as an invaluable resource in the aftermath of a disaster.
- 2-1-1 is the number to call to give help and to get help.
View a news story from WBRE on 2-1-1.
Additional information can be found at 2-1-1.
Local road conditions are always a concern, check the local PennDot District 4 web (Lackawanna, Luzerne, Pike, Susquehanna, Wayne & Wyoming Counties) or PennDot District 3 web (Bradford, Columbia, Lycoming, Montour,Northumberland, Snyder, Sullivan, Tioga & Union Counties) site's.
For statewide conditions click on the PA 511 site, you can also download PA 511's mobile app by clicking here. Another site for information regarding Interstate 81, where you can sign up for traffic alerts is Focus 81.
The PA Turnpike conditions can be reached at 1-800-331-3414, then choosing Option #2, then Option #92. The latest web information for the Turnpike can be found here.
Latest recall information from the FDA and Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Program all emergency and family contact information into your phone.
- Have a communications plan. Designate someone outside the area as a central contact.
- Keep batteries charged at all times, keep available extra batteries or a car charger in cases of extended power outages.
- Keep your phone dry and out of the elements.
- Forward your home number to your cell phone. Forwarding is done from the telephone companies central office, so your calls can be forwarded even if your land line is out of order.
- Use text messaging, which often will go through more quickly than a voice call.
- Keep non-emergency calls to a minimum and limit calls to the most important ones.
Red Cross Blood Drives
Donor Site - Luzerne County
NEPA Region Blood Services
Donor Site - Lackawanna County
208 Meadow Ave., Scranton
For latest blood donation information, check Red Cross NEPA Region Blood Services.
Geisinger Blood Center
For the latest blood donation site information and to make an appointment click here.